I wrote about this bike before, and before I get started on my next expensive project, I thought I better get this on-the-cheap one going.
About a month ago we had a nice, unseasonable, warm weekend and I took the opportunity to break out the spray cans.
My theory is that the best temperature to paint in is somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees Celsius. It’s also good to leave the cans outside in the sun just before you plan to use them so that they can warm up a bit. The paint will then come out in a more uniform way and it will minimise drips.
Multiple thin paint layers also minimise drips and drops. I laid down 2 coats of flat black on the frame and the fork, then some sparkly green highlights, and a couple of coats of clear. Due to the nice warm temperature outside the paint was drying quickly.
I let the frame cure for about a week before I decided to build it up. I put a set of steel square taper cranks on the bike, removed the outermost ring (with my handy dremel to cut the heads of the ‘bolts’ holding it on), and ran the chain from the granny to the 10t microdrive on the back.
It has fat tyres on it at the moment as they were what I had lying around. The fat tyres and the 28T – 10T gear ratio makes the thing a bit tall in terms of gear inches, but with some nice thin tyres on it it should be a great ratio.
The front wheel needs truing as well, so there’s a bit of work to do. This is going to be a cool little commuter.